Nephrite Jade is one only two real Jades, the other being Jadeite. The most popular and valuable colour for Nephrite is deep green with black spots, from Siberia. It can also be found in lighter shades of green, and even in white.
The name Nephrite derives from the Greek word 'nephos' which means kidney, and people thought that the small, rounded kidney shaped stones would help with kidney ailments. Nowadays it is mostly mined in Canada, Russian, New Zealand and China. Nephrite is slightly softer than Jadeite, and as such is used to create wonderful intricate carvings.
The Chinese have been famous for their love affair with Jade over the years, and despite many people believing it is Jadeite that they prized, it is actually Nephrite, as there are no Jadeite deposits in China. They wouldn't have even been aware of Jadeite until the 18th Century when it was brought over from Burma, and then the rich green Imperial Jade (Jadeite), became highly sought after.
Nephrite Jade Metaphysical Properties include:
- Attracting prosperity,
- Promoting health and longevity
- Good for children – problem solving, accident prone
- Helps you achieve your goals and dreams
- Promotes balance and justice, wisdom and compassion
- Good emotional balance, grounding
- Aids dreams and dream recall
- Helps connection to ancient civilisations and wisdom
- Aids shamanic access to spirit worlds
Find our Nephrite Jade collection here.